Powerful Hurricane Irma Begins Its Destructive Path As Florida Braces For The Worst.
NOAA / Reuters
Here’s what’s happening:
- Hurricane Irma made landfall early Wednesday morning, passing directly over the island of Barbuda before making its way toward Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
- At least one death was reported early on on the island of Barbuda Wednesday evening.
- The storm has prompted President Donald Trump to declare states of emergency for Puerto Rico, Florida, and the US Virgin Islands.
- Tourists in the Florida Keys are under a mandatory evacuation order, and officials expect additional evacuations of residents across south Florida, including Miami.
- Grocery stores are already being cleaned out as people prepare to hunker down.
- Widespread damage has been reported in the French Caribbean territories of Saint-Martin and St. Barts.
- The storm comes just more than a week after Harvey blasted into the Texas coast, causing dozens of deaths and major flooding
Hurricane Irma , via : buzzfeed